When the warmer months approach, it is essential that you keep an eye on your cat and dog. When the weather outside heats up, your pet is at risk of developing heatstroke. Cats and dog don’t have sweat glands all over the body as humans do. Pets have a few sweat glands in their paws, however, they do very little to regulate their body temperature. This makes cats and dogs especially susceptible to heatstroke. If your pet is suffering from a heatstroke, bring your pet to our veterinarians for immediate care at Winter Garden Animal Hospital in Winter Garden.
Signs of Heatstroke in Pets
If your pet is getting overheated, you should be able to recognize the signs of heatstroke. The symptoms in cats include:
- Rapid pulse and breathing
- Red tongue
The signs of heatstroke in dogs include:
- Excessive drooling
- Rapid heartbeat
- Red gums
- Producing little or no urine
Preventing Heatstroke in Pets
Because heatstroke can be very dangerous for your pet, it is essential that you do what you can to keep your pet from getting overheated. Here are some pet tips in preventing heatstroke for your pet.
- Stay Indoors: It is best to keep your pet indoors when it is very hot out. When taking your dog outside to do his or her business, keep the walks as short as possible. On a very hot day, your pet can become overheated very quickly.
- Keep Water Available At All Times: On hot days, your pet should always have a supply of water. Even indoors, your pet can get overheated.
- Leave Your Pet At Home When You Go Out: Your pet may love car rides, however, on a hot day, the car can heat up within minutes when left unattended and can be deadly for your pet. It is best that you leave your pet at home on hot days to avoid any injuries and heatstroke.
If you suspect that your pet is suffering from heat stroke, you should soak your pet with cool water and contact Winter Garden Animal Hospital at (407) 656-4132 right away. Because heatstroke is a dangerous condition, your pet will need medical attention immediately. Our Winter Garden veterinarians can treat your pet for heatstroke quickly and safely. We can also give you pet tips to prevent your pet from getting heatstroke in the future.