Spring is a time when many people start to sneeze and cough from allergies. What many pet owners don’t realize is that spring can affect pets in the same way that they affect people. Knowing when your pet is suffering from allergies can help you keep your pet comfortable. At Winter Garden Animal Hospital in Winter Garden, FL, we can help by treating pet allergies to keep your furry friend feeling their best.
Symptoms of Pet Allergies
Being able to recognize the symptoms of pet allergies is the first step to getting your pet the help he or she needs. If your pet has seasonal allergies, you may notice some of the following symptoms:
- Dermatological problems. Many pets that experience seasonal allergies will develop dermatological problems like itchy skin. Constant itching can lead to skin tenderness and redness. If it continues for long enough, your pet may experience hair loss and bleeding.
- Respiratory problems. Like people, pets can develop respiratory problems during allergy season. Your pet may sneeze or cough more often than normal.
- Ear infections. Many pets, particularly dogs, will develop ear infections from allergies. Pets that have ear infections will have red, itchy, inflamed skin on the inside of the ears.
Treatment for Pet Allergies in Winter Garden
There are many ways to treat pets who experience pet allergies in Winter Garden. For example:
- Baths. Washing the pollen off of your pet can help your pet find immediate relief from itching.
- Eating an anti-inflammatory diet. Eating the right foods can help curb your pet’s reaction to pollen and allergens.
- House cleaning. Keep your house extra clean and free of dust and pollen while your pet is experiencing this problem.
It’s important to take your pet to our veterinarian in Winter Garden if he or she is experiencing allergies. At Winter Garden Animal Hospital, our veterinarians can help keep your pet comfortable throughout the season. If you live in Windermere, Ocoee or Winter Garden, take your pet to the Winter Garden veterinarians today. Call us at (407) 656-4132 for an appointment!